Coming Soon! - Curious Dictionary

Very soon I will have completed my own dictionary called:

The Dictionary of Obscure, Curious, Humorous, Forgotten and Loved Words

I've dug up tons of strange words from around the internet, many of which have not been used properly for years. Most of them you will never have heard of (I hadn't either until now). I've used sources such as "The Phrontistery", "Luciferous Logolepsy", and the "Grandiloquent Dictionary". I've even had to scour the web for the official longest word in the English language, a difficult but rewarding task. Right now the dictionary contains about 130 entries, all with an example sentence. 
 
Here's a word for each adjective in the title of the dictionary, respectively, as a teaser.



acephalous - (adj) lacking a distinct head. Although it was acephalous, the chicken survived for three weeks.

byrthynsak - (noun) steeling as much as one can carry. The byrthynsak of the McWander estate was an incident recorded in all the local newspapers.

groak - (verb) to stare at someone who is eating in hopes of receiving food. The irresistible puppy groaked from under the table. 

 hamadryad - (noun) a king cobra. Unbeknownst to the farmer, the hamadryad slithered towards its victim

 phrontistery - (noun) a thinking-place or an establishment for learning or studying. Many great scientists went to the phrontistery to think and cogitate. 

I'll be adding a few more entries and then it will be ready to put on the blog. But even then I will continue to add to it!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment